Dogwood Diploma - Grad Requirements at a glance:
The B.C. Certificate of Graduation or "Dogwood Diploma" is awarded to students who successfully complete the provincial graduation requirements.
Students require a minimum of 80 credits to graduate.
Of these 80 credits:
- At least 16 credits must be at the Grade 12 level, including a required Language Arts 12
- At least 28 credits must be elective course credits
- 52 credits are required from the following:
- Career-Life Education (4 credits), and Career-Life Connections + Capstone (4 credits)
- Physical and Health Education 10 (4 credits)
- Science 10 (4 credits), and a Science 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- Social Studies 10 (4 credits), and a Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- A Math 10 (4 credits), and a Math 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- A Language Arts 10, 11 and a required 12 (12 credits total)
- An Arts Education 10, 11, or 12 and/or an Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits total)
In addition, students must also complete three new graduation assessments:
- The Grade 10 Graduation Numeracy Assessment was introduced in 2018
- The Grade 10 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2019/20
- The New Grade 12 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2020/21
Note on Language Arts 12 exams: Students graduating in the 2018/19 school year will not write a literacy assessment. They will write the course-based Language Arts 12 provincial exam.
Note on Career Life Education:
For 2019/20 and beyond, the following career education courses will be used in all BC schools:
- Career Life Education
- Career Life Connections + Capstone