Scholarships and Bursaries
The local scholarship and bursary page outlines: awards of money provided by local businesses, non-profit organizations, and School District 53 to graduating students of S.E.S.S. each year. This includes specific criteria for each bursary/scholarship, award amount, and who the application is submitted to. Students must apply in writing meeting all the necessary criteria.
Please see below for a full list of internal and external applications.
- Completed Bursary/Scholarship Application Form, only one form is required for all the internal awards that you are applying for. (SEE BELOW)
- Attach a letter of acceptance from the school or training institute you will attend after graduation.
- Letter of interest explaining why you are applying for the award (NOTE: you only need one letter total- not one for each bursary)
- Biography attached – (one page) outlining your interests, accomplishments and future/goals. You may want to search online regarding “How to write a personal biography”. (If you receive an award, please be sure to mail or drop off a “Thank You” letter. It is important to value the support provided by these people/organizations.)
- The deadline for applications for all scholarships and bursaries must be submitted, in writing, no later than May 21, 2021 (unless stated otherwise).
- For external awards, please see specific award for any additional application materials.
- Subject: Awards Application + Your Name (i.e. Awards Application John Smith)
Internal Bursary/Scholarship applications can be submitted electronically to the school office by May 21, 2021. The Similkameen Secondary Scholarship Committee at the school will select the recipient of the bursary and/or scholarship, Ms. Searcy is the Chairperson of this committee.
- Amanda Munroe Memorial - Bursary $300
This bursary will be awarded to a student who plans to attend a college or university. The candidate should show a love for life and be considerate and empathetic towards classmates, family, and community.
- Community Foundation South OK Similkameen- Music Under the K - Bursary $170
This bursary is for a student who is pursuing a career or education in the Fine Arts. This award is based upon financial need, academic achievement, and leadership skills.
- Community Foundation of the South Okanagan – Pat Clarke Memorial - Bursary $390
Student applicant must be pursuing a career in nursing or other health related sciences. Candidate must be a Canadian citizen and have resided in Keremeos, Cawston, Olalla, or Hedley for at least one year. Award will be based on financial need and academic achievement. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon proof of registration.
- Cypress Air Conditioning Trades Award - Bursary $2000
Student applicant must be pursuing education in the trades (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.), have a strong overall average (70%), and have a reputation for treating fellow students and teachers with respect. Must have a good attendance record. All things being equal, priority will be given to an applicant who may face financial barriers to post-secondary education.
- District/Authority - 4 Scholarships @ $1,250
This is a non-academic award available to students who excel in Fine Arts, Applied Skills (Business Ed, Tech Ed, Home Ec.), physical activity (not limited to P.E.), and second languages (including Indigenous Languages and Culture). Payment is made by voucher direct to recipient and can be redeemed when student is registered and attending a designated post-secondary institution. Please also complete this additional application form here.
- Harry Robinson Memorial - Scholarship $500
The candidate must be a First Nations graduating student who shows talent or special interest in some aspect of his/her native culture and is planning to attend a post-secondary institution. The special interest/talent could include such areas as music, dance, art, storytelling, politics, history, or education. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon proof of registration. Studies to begin within 18 months of graduation in a recognized Canadian institution for further educational studies.
- Hedley Centre - Bursary $500
Available to a student from Hedley or USIB. The student must be going on to either a post-secondary institution or an apprenticeship.
- Judy and Greg Quaedvlieg Memorial - Bursary $1000
This bursary is for a student attending post-secondary school for full-time studies in the fields of either nursing or agriculture. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon receipt of proof of registration for up to 15 months after graduation.
- Kars Under the K - Bursary $500
This award will go to a student furthering his/her education in the trades with preference given to the automotive trades. Proof of registration is required. Payment is made directly to the student by Kars Under the K representative at the commencement ceremony.
- Keremeos Doctors - Scholarship $1000
Candidates must be pursuing a further education in any of the health disciplines such as medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, or lab technology. Award will be based on academic achievement and financial need. Studies to begin within 15 months of graduation.
- Larissa Marten Memorial Bible College - Bursary $1,000
This bursary is for students who intend to attend a Bible college or university within 24 months of graduation. Please include your resume, information on the Bible college you plan to attend, letters of reference, and be available for an interview. A parent or support person may accompany you to the interview, but only you may answer the questions.
- Okanagan Corrections Centre - Scholarship $500
This award will go to a student who will choose a post-secondary course in criminology, law, or law enforcement studies. If there are no students interested in pursuing these courses, then scholarship goes to a student who will pursue post-secondary education in any other stream.
- Okanagan Similkameen Administrators’ Association - Scholarship $500
Criteria for selection will be focused on student leadership, service, and academic achievement. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon receipt of proof of registration within 15 months of graduation.
- School District #53 Academic - 2 Scholarships @ $1,000
These scholarships are awarded for high academic achievement and the intent to build on this in post-secondary education. Studies are to begin within 15 months of graduation. Payment is made by School District 53 to the institute of higher learning upon proof of registration by the recipient, within 24 months of graduation.
- School District #53 Non-Academic Trades - 2 Scholarships @ $1,000
This scholarship will be awarded to a student who has shown high achievement and enthusiasm in one of the trades. The student must show a willingness to continue in the trades at a technical college or place of higher learning. Payment is made by School District 53 to the institute of higher learning upon proof of registration by the recipient, within 24 months of graduation.
- South Okanagan Similkameen Teachers’ Union - Bursary $550 & Scholarship $1,250
The bursary/scholarship will be awarded to deserving students who are pursuing post-secondary studies. SOSTU members’ children shall be considered first. When there are no SOSTU members’ children, consideration will be given to students pursuing the field of education or working with children and youth. This award must be claimed within 3 academic years of graduation. Payments are made by SOSTU to the recipient or parent/guardian after proof of tuition being paid is provided. SOSTU form must be filled out.
- South Similkameen Art Society * TBC - Bursary $500
This bursary will be awarded to a student pursuing an arts discipline including visual, musical, literary, or theatrical in a post-secondary institution. If no student meets the criteria, then the award can be given to another student of the panel’s choice. Payment is a cash award upon proof of education.
- Sysco Foods Bursary - 2 Bursaries @ $500
This Bursary is paid directly to the post-secondary institution of the recipient’s choice. It must be claimed with 15 months of graduation.
- Village of Keremeos - Bursary $500
This bursary is offered to a student pursuing a post-secondary education.
External Bursary/Scholarship applications can be submitted to the school by May 21, 2021.
- Auto Trades Bursary - $500 + tools
(Similkameen Tirecraft, Fix’em Automotive, K Mountain Auto Repair, Napa Keremeos)
This award will go to a student furthering education in mechanics, heavy duty mechanics, or small engines. Payment is made directly to student upon proof of registration. There is an additional application form for this award. This application form is available here.
- Canadian Royal Purple Society, Keremeos Lodge #83 - Bursary $1000
Award will be based on academic achievement and financial need. Priority is given to sons, daughters, or grandchildren of members of the Royal Purple or Elks. To be awarded to a student who does not receive several other bursaries. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon receipt of proof of registration. Studies to begin within 27 months of graduation.
- C.U.P.E. Local 523 - Bursary $400
This will be awarded to a student who is a son/daughter of a member of C.U.P.E. Local 523, Okanagan Similkameen. It is based on financial need and academic standing. Application forms are available online and at the school. A copy of school transcript is required with the application, along with a statement which outlines future goals and occupational goals. Studies are to begin within 15 months of graduation. Online applications are available here. Application deadline is May 15, 2021.
- Keremeos-Cawston Sportsmen Association - Bursary $500
First preference will be given to those candidates who are active club members or sons or daughters of KCSA. The next preference will be to students who plan to pursue a career in Wildlife Management, Fisheries Management, or Forestry. If none of the above is applicable, then the bursary may be awarded to a deserving student planning to attend a post-secondary institution. Studies are to be made within 18 months of graduation. The bursary will be a cash award upon proof of education.
- Keremeos Elks #56 - Bursary $500
Preference will be given to any child or grandchild of a member of the Keremeos Elks Lodge. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon proof of registration. Studies are to begin within 15 months of graduation.
- Keremeos Fas Gas - Bursary 3 @ $500
Preference for this bursary will be given to students pursuing secondary education and financial need. Payment made directly to the student.
- Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department - Bursary $200
Priority will be given to candidates who are children of Fire Department members and/or honorary members. Award is based on academic achievement and financial need. Payment is made to institute of higher learning upon proof of registration. Studies are to begin within 18 months of graduation.
- Parent Advisory Council - Bursary $500
This bursary will be awarded to a student who has volunteered in the community and at school, and this student has a career plan. This award is based upon financial need and leadership skills. Payment will be made up to 15 months after graduation.
- Pharmasave Keremeos - Bursary $500
Candidate should be pursuing a career in pharmacy or in a science-related field. Award will be based on academic achievement, financial need, and community involvement. Payment is made to the institute of higher learning upon receipt of proof of registration. Studies are to begin within 15 months of graduation.
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 192 - 3 Scholarships @ $1,000
Scholarships are based on academic achievement and involvement in extracurricular activities and/or community activities. Payment is made directly to the student. Students are to write a short paragraph about what the Legion provides for the community and your involvement with the Legion. Two academic scholarships and one trades scholarship are available.
- Similkameen Minor Sports Association Coaches Bursary - Bursary $500
This award will go to a grad who has volunteered their time helping with coaching with SMSA.
- World Hobby Horse Concil Bursary - Bursary $400
The bursary will be awarded each year to a grad who has demonstrated generosity of time and effort towards Cawston Primary School and its students, with particular emphasis on the student's commitment towards the noble sport of Hobby Horse Barrel Racing.